The next week my group taught at Limakatso. It was really good to finally be able to work with the students. There were 11 disabled students and only one of them had actually been diagnosed. Sadly, this is a pretty common occurrence here in Africa. We spent most of our time playing games and bonding with the children and also taught them a bible lesson each day. They loved having us there to give them attention and just simply love them. That week was really really cold, but we have gotten used to it, so it didn't slow us down too much. While we were at Limakatso, Christine's group was on the base oiling cabins.
On Saturday we had fun with a Christmas in July party. It was also a surprise birthday party for Char, the director of Next Step. We enjoyed some cookies and cake and had a ridiculous white elephant gift exchange. Dave, one of the staff here, even dressed up as Santa. It can get pretty boring on the base on the weekends, so the party was appreciated by all. On Sunday,we had the chance to repel down one of the mountains on the base. (Mount Everest) It was AMAZING!!! Halfway down the boulder, I realized just how high up we were, but it was definitely an adrenaline rush. I can't wait to repel more in the future.
This week, our two groups switched jobs and Christine went to Limakatso while my group stayed back to oil cabins and staff houses. Surprisingly, it is one of my favorite projects we have done so far. We have had great weather in the 50s and 60s and our group has really come together. I have had the chance to talk to some of the interns I usually don't see that much and we have all gotten to know each other a lot better.
This weekend we are going to get the chance to go into town and buy shoes, toys and blankets for all of the youth we met at the children's home. We have already raised over $1200 just from the money we all brought with us and are hoping to raise more. Please let me know if you are interested in helping.
It's really crazy how everything is coming to an end here. The time has gone by SO quickly. We leave next Thursday morning for debriefing. We still don't know where exactly we are going, but we know that its about a 6 hour drive to get there and that we will get to go on a safari while we are there. We then leave Johannesburg on Saturday night to come home. I still can't believe that it is so close! We will be home before we know it. I'm looking forward to get home, but also can't imagine my life outside of South Africa right now. After the first few days of spending time with friends and family at home, I think I'm going to realize just how much I miss this place and all the people I have met.
No comments:
Post a Comment